Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Dog Handler

On Monday I had the opportunity to be a Dog Handler for about 2 hours. It was an eye opener. I thought I would just play with dogs and hang out but I found that most of the time was spent breaking up fights.

I got scratched up a bit and my shirt was torn but even still I had a blast. It was interesting to watch the dogs play and enjoy running around. It's amazing that they revert back to their ancestry ways when they are in a pack of about 20 dogs. They establish who are the alpha females and males, they must greet and sniff everyone who enters the room, even me. I was the new kid on the block so they all sniffed me to see what I was about. They also tested me. That was interesting.

Some dogs like Sadie, a female Doberman, would come up to me to be massaged and when any other dog wanted the same, she would push them aside. When I stopped petting her she would hit my hand with her nose to signal she wasn't ready for me to stop.

I was exhausted when I got home and collapsed. It's rough pulling full grown great danes, dobermans, labordors and so many more off of each other. But like I said, I enjoyed every minute of it. The barking and howling too :)

Although I came home with a few scratches and a torn shirt I loved it. There's nothing like being around a pack of dogs.

No comments: