Saturday, September 16, 2006

A Dalmatian, Pitbull & Labrador Mix and Thelma :)

UPDATE - 9/18/06- ALL ADOPTED! YEAH!! Thelma was taken in by a foster parent until her leg heals

Today was a great day at the shelter. I was able to spend time with three lovely dogs. Would you believe I forgot my camera :( Well, I'll be going back tomorrow and if they haven't been adopted I'll be sure to take pictures if they're available.

Storm A676272 - a beautiful Dalmatian male puppy only 4 months old. What a sweetheart. When I took him out he was jumping all over me, licking and kissing. Very excited, wagging his beautiful tail. After I walked him a bit he started to relax. When I sat down he would cuddle up on my lap. At one point he wedged his way between my legs, put his head on my thigh, curled up and went to sleep. My leg fell asleep but I didn't mind. I enjoyed every minute of it. He loves to be scratched on his belly and he loves full hugs with both arms. Great dog!

Pitbull - I have to get his name. Sorry:( He's about 1 year and 6 months. We had to get use to eachother. He was gentle. We walked out side and he pulled me but he also would stop and walk by my side and often he would look back to make sure I was there. As time went by we got to know eachother and we would cuddle. He let me pet his face and hold him. I enjoyed my time with him. Beautiful dog!

Wanda A676240 - Wanda is a female black labrador mix. Darling :) She's only 7 months old. She's a playful little thing. She's delightful to walk, she pull's a bit but I'm noticing most of the sheltered dogs do this because they are so excited to be out of the cages. But once they have gotten their locked up energy out, they tend to calm down. When I sat down she sat with me and jumped on my lap. She's a licker so be prepared to be kissed a lot. She also loves to play with your hands. She's adorable.

I spent about 3 hours there today. On my way out, I was shocked by a pitbull mix who was just brought into the shelter because she was hit by a car. Her back left leg was dangling and had a scar. She was waiting to be brought into the vet. I stopped and sat down with her. One of the staff was there and told me the story. She was just recently adopted from that same shelter, the adoptor gave her to someone in New Jersey and she was hit by the car here in New York. Sad. I told him they should hunt down the adopter and send that person to jail. No comment. Anyway, her name is Thelma. She wanted so much to sit down because she was exhausted but couldn't because of her leg, so she leaned her face into my lap and rested. I put my head on hers and told her she would be alright. I also put the intent out there for her to heal. When I left her she was a little more energetic. I'm going back to see her tmw. I'll let you know.

One thing I have to say is that Thelma is amazing like all animals. If that were me and I broke my leg I'd be whining and crying like crazy. I love animals. Before you adopt, please make sure you are ready for the commitment involved. Do not take an animal just because they are cute for the moment and then you find out they crap, they pee, they snore, they fart, they need to be walked and fed, they cost money and the like. Take it because you are ready, because you love life and honor God in all things, adopt it with the mindset that this is your child, and you never throw your child away or put it in the street.

God is all life! Cherish it :)

No comments: