Monday, April 23, 2007

Dusty - A704820 - Pit Bull Mix






Update - 4/24/07 - Adopted :-D

Dusty is a 8 month old pit bull mix. He has been at the Animal Care & Control Center in NYC since 4/19/07.

Dusty was quiet in his cage. I decided to take him out. He was a little hesitant and I soon figured out why as he kept bumping into things. He is blind. This is the first time I've ever been with a blind dog. He walked very close by my legs and at some points he would walk between my legs. Sometimes he would even jump on me. I think he did this out of frustration. At first, my emotions got to me and I started to feel sorry for him, but I soon realized that that was not the right thing to do, so I walked as if it were any other dog. The only thing I did differently was to snap my fingers to help him keep in line with where I was. When he heard the snap he felt reassured. When I saw him getting ready to hit something, I either tugged the leash or made a sound with my mouth and he would go in the opposite direction.

It was a great experience meeting Dusty and, of course, I fell in love with him.

Dusty needs someone who is willing to go the extra mile to assist him with his blindness. He is like any other dog and I believe he would fit in nicely with his surroundings once he got use to them.

If you are interested in adding Dusty to your loving family visit the Animal Care & Control Center website or call 212.788.4000 and give them his special A#.

No comments: